Monday, February 1, 2010

Baby Food

One thing I am looking forward to with the new baby is making homemade baby food.

I didn't start doing it with Molly until she was close to a year old. I was amazed at the apparent difference in her appetite! Foods that she formerly refused she began eating with gusto. The only down side was that she'd eat the same thing for a day and a half. (One baked sweet potato = quite a few baby sized servings that don't keep for very long)

I also discovered that it is SO much cheaper to make homemade food. In my experience, two 1/4 cup servings of babyfood = $1 (sometimes more). One large sweet potato at $1 (or less) mashes into 2 cups- that's eight 1/4 cup servings. 50 cents a serving > 12.5 cents a serving.

I'm looking into options for extended storage of homemade baby food that doesn't involve canning/cooking/preserving. One method that sounds great is to freeze it using ice-cube trays. That way it's already portioned and will keep for way longer than in the fridge. I'm not sure how it would work for things that you don't cook though...



OLD picture, but so sweet :-)

2 comments:

Brian Sullivan said...

"Ich liebe Zwieback!"

Kristina said...

I made my own baby food with Alexis, and I froze almost everything in ice cube trays then I popped them out and put them in freezer bags. It worked really well for me! It was one of my favorite things to do!